Total COVID-19 Spending to Date: $139.4 million
Figures as of Jan. 25, 2021, unless otherwise noted.
Pinellas CARES Programs
Pinellas County received $170.1 million from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to address the community’s most pressing needs related to COVID-19.
The County has committed all CARES Act funds to the programs below, and payments are ongoing.
Pinellas CARES Funds Committed to Date: $170.1 million
Pinellas CARES Programs Costs to Date: $121.1 million
Individual & Family Financial Assistance*
Financial assistance for overdue rent, mortgage and utility bills for households who have lost income due to COVID-19.
- Launched: April 28, 2020
- Est. Program Investment: $26.2 million
- Approved to Date: 21,716 payments assisting 8,654 households
- Awarded to Date: $24.6 million
Figures per 211 Tampa Bay Cares as of December 29, 2020.
Nonprofit Partnership Fund*
Support for nonprofits that provide critical services and investments in countywide COVID-19 response in the areas of food, behavioral health, and eviction mitigation.
- Launched: Aug. 7, 2020
- Est. Program Investment: $30.0 million
- Approved to Date: 61 nonprofit organizations
- Awarded: $17.9 million
- Costs to Date: $13.0 million (subject to final review)
Figures per Pinellas Community Foundation as of Jan. 11, 2021. Visit https://pinellascf.org/grants/pinellas-cares for more information.
Licensed Child Care Grants*
Grants to child care organizations whose business was negatively impacted due to COVID-19.
- Launched: Aug. 7, 2020
- Closed: Oct. 2, 2020
- Est. Program Investment: $5.0 million
- Approved: 530 applicants‡
- Awarded: $7.4 million
Local Business Grants*
Grant funding for Pinellas-based businesses most affected by the pandemic.
- Launched: May 4, 2020 (initial program); Aug. 31, 2020 (new program)
- Est. Program Investment: $48.9 million
- Approved to Date: 5,389 applicants
- Awarded to Date: $55.5 million
Nonprofit Attractions and Cultural Facilities
Grants for pre-qualified nonprofit arts and cultural organization that suffered economic damages as a result of COVID-19.
- Launched: Nov. 23, 2020
- Est. Program Investment: $2.5 million
- Approved to Date: 50
- Awarded to Date: $3.7 million
Workforce Re-employment & Training*
Workforce reemployment, retraining, and placement for residents that suffered economic impact due to COVID-19.
- Launched: Oct. 16, 2020
- Est. Program Investment: $2.0 million
- Enrollments to Date: 56
- Awarded to Date: $231,889
- Costs to Date: $231,889
Figures per CareerSource Pinellas as of December 31, 2020.
Third-Party Administration of Pinellas CARES Community Grant Programs:
- Awarded: $2.1 million
- Costs to Date: $852,264
COVID-19 Mitigation & Response
Bolstering local pandemic response through increasing local capacity for testing, contact tracing, personal protective equipment (PPE), and other public health measures.
- Est. Program Investment: $55.9 million
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Stockpile†:
- Costs to Date: $7.5 million
- Community Testing Sites:
- Costs to Date: $757,547
- Testing and Contact Tracing
- Awarded: $4.4 million
- Costs to Date: $2.3 million
- County, Cities, Towns, & Independent Fire Districts:
- Awarded: $29.3 million
- Costs to Date: pending
- School Board of Pinellas County:
- Awarded: $17.3 million allocated
- Costs to Date: pending
Other Externally Funded Direct Expenses
Health Care for the Homeless Program
Supplemental COVID-19 funding provided by the following three grants:
FY 2020 Coronavirus Supplemental Funding for Health Centers
US Department of Health and Human Services funding from the Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2020 for preventing, preparing for, and responding to COVID-19.
- Awarded: $58,607
- Costs to Date: $43,882
Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act Funding
US Department of Health and Human Services CARES Act Supplemental Funding for Health Centers to support the detection and/or prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of COVID-19.
- Awarded: $626,255
- Costs to Date: $63,612
FY 2020 Expanding Capacity for Coronavirus Testing (ECT)
US Department of Health and Human Services funding from the H.R. 266, Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act to support activities to purchase, administer, and expand capacity for testing for COVID-19.
- Awarded: $142,609
- Costs to Date: $23,909
Mobile Command Units for Emergency Call Takers
US Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Assistance FY20 Coronavirus Emergency Supplemental Funding (CESF) Program
- Awarded: $175,217
- Costs to Date: $165,639
Emergency Medical Services Healthcare Provider Expenses
US Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 CARES Act Provider Relief Fund
- Awarded: $1,605,742
- Reimbursable Costs to Date: $920,570
- Local Match: $685,172
Florida Housing Finance Corporation Rent and Mortgage Assistance
State Coronavirus Relief Fund (CRF) CARES Act through the Florida Housing Finance Corporation for rent and mortgage assistance
- Awarded: $2.8 million
- Approved to Date: 324 payments
Costs to Date: $772,371
COVID-19 Homeless Response
Tampa Bay Resiliency Fund Grant through Pinellas Community Foundation
- Awarded: $43,500
- Costs to Date: $15,354
- Costs to Date: $4,826
Other State Funds Awarded
- COVID-19 Florida E911 Board Special Disbursement to protect 911 personnel: $84,000
Other Federal Funds Awarded
- US Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grant to fund local to economic and housing disruptions resulting from COVID-19: $3,883,784
- US Housing and Urban Development Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) Homeless Assistance Grants: $4,736,891
- FY2020 Coronavirus Supplemental Funding for Airports (COVID-19): $8,737,268
Other Direct Expenses
County Department Costs to Date: $13.3 million
- Election Support: $278,221
- Emergency Medical Transports: $17,220
- Personnel: $6.4 million
- Goods and Services: $6.7 million
County Staff Time on CARES Programs:
- COVID-19 Testing Sites: $251,337
- Individual & Family Financial Assistance Program: $1,109,187
- Local Business Programs: $802,129
- Non-profit Partnership Fund: $8,327
View the COVID-19 Expenditure Summary by Project here.
*Figures reported on Community Grant Programs in the COVID-19 Spending Report reflect approved and awarded dollars as reported by the entity issuing payment. There is a delay in these costs reflecting in expenditure reports. Depending on how the program is administered, this delay may be significant.
†Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) 90-Day Stockpile costs reported in the COVID-19 Spending Report consolidates costs from the following projects and tasks: Project 90007B4, Task 5.1; Project 90007B1, Task 30.3; and Project 900007B3 Task 1.1.
‡Child care grant data reported for the week of November 20 was for number of payments rather than number of applicants.